Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Remote Access

Though spawned of a moment, I do believe this piece also has something to do with a brief conversation my sister and I had the other day. I think it started when I said to her, "...you know me, I've always talked better to myself than anyone else."

"Remote Access"

This morning while waiting on the train
I suddenly wished
That I'd grown up in New York;
I watched the students
Book-bags in tow
Watched turnstiles
Turn
Heard those clickity-clicks
As each new soul was admitted
And the platform filled
Overstuffed;
I saw different colors
Biological
Material
And though I appreciate
Now
Much of my youth
It dawned on me
The universal theme
To my state-of-mind
Isolation;
I wished I'd grown up in New York
Because here
There's escape
I could turn my head in any direction
With the inevitable joy
Of the knowledge
That I'm bound to see someone like
Me;
That's it
Not the shows
Not the parks
Tall buildings
Or convenient subway
Just the fact I could be
Me
Without feeling alone
Lonely in a belief
That I would never look into knowing eyes
Shared story
Be accepted just because
That
Is the New York state-of-mind...
©2009clarencecbess

No comments: