Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quarreling With Myself

This poem is for Akili who turned me on to a W.B. Yates quote that I couldn't get out of my head..

"Quarreling With Myself"

I got into an argument with myself
Thinking about yesterday
Today
And trying to answer tomorrow;
I brought up a few good points
Only to have me rebuke
In a selfish attempt
To protect the fantasies
I bound in and out of
To avoid too much damage from the world
Before long
There was so much yelling
My head began to swell
Capillaries burst
And my soul began to drip
Swiftly with purpose;
As I couldn't let my essence drift away
I captured it
Held it lovingly in my hands
Where it remained until there was quiet
I picked up a pen releasing the flow
Moving past the rhetoric
Into the songs
That became of my screams
Understanding truths
Giving presence to my dreams...
©2009clarencecbess

2 comments:

Rodney Kline said...

I love how you bring out your feelings in your writing.

akilispoetry said...

Mr. BEss to even be named in a poems dedication is amazing. That you dedicated this in my honor is equally amazaing. Thank you so much. Now on to your piece the imagery is intense and it was like reading a painting i loved it. The flow is excellent as well.

"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen." ~Leonardo da Vinci

you paint such a beautiful poem.