Friday, March 6, 2009

Little Boy

Working in education as afforded me the insight into children I most-likely never would have gained. I took today off and in my travels decided to sit a bit in a little park. Strangely, with all the noise, it was actually rather peaceful...that is until this little kid started up...

“Little Boy”

Little boy
Why are you crying?
What have you to worry about?
Is it the cold
Sweeping around you
Interrupting your play?
Are you missing your mother
And annoyed by the man
Who attempts to help your mastering
Of the fine art of riding a bicycle?
The numerous vehicles
In their constant auto argument
Blaring their horns
Spewing their toxins to blacken your lungs
Bringing you one step closer
To the finality that is death?

I wonder.
Because I remember crying as a child.
And everyday
More cries I hear
The silencing always the same.
What, with the procurement of a snack
A toy
Or something completely unearned
I rue the fact that you will eventually become
An adult version
Of the tear sputtering fool I see before me
Demanding that everyone listen to you
Bow to your wishes
Because that is the way it has always been;
And why should you change?

Little boy
Why are you crying?
I’m hoping you figure this out soon…
©2009clarencecbess

No comments: