Saturday, December 5, 2009

December Grey

I always enjoy Long Island... from the railroad...

"December Grey"

He forgot it yesterday
Lost upon the words
He couldn't say
I doubt
It could hurt so much
But I'm at a loss to say
To be without it
Would empty me too much...

In their stories
I hear them say
Never a loss for words
That he could rule this way
Just as the sun set
The other day
Only to burn horizons
Where children play...

I'm smiling
Looking into
And beyond the rain
At workers passing by
Knowing their present
And part of my past
Are one in the same;
Were it not for laws
What would they sing?
To tell their story
What would they scream?

I'm observing
All the barren trees
Skeletal remains
Of the forgotten spring
Revealing to me the truth
That just beyond these dreams
Dies the essence of our being
Cries the passion of our soul
Lies the freedom that we need...

He forgot it yesterday
Just as I again knew it today
That children cannot play
That they will never know their scream;
That just as beneath those sodden roots
Was life
As above these falling tears
Are the bluest of skies...
©2009clarencecbess

No comments: