Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ghetto Americana

"Lessons Learned" was written for the children of my school... this one is for the staff. Enjoy...

“Ghetto Americana”

I saw you three
The other day from the bus
A slice of Ghetto Americana
Just as forgotten
As the expiration date
Of the chips you ate.
A simple scene
Yet remarkable
Because earlier
The civility didn’t exist
And that blows
To see you trapped
Images
Wiped clean of all
That would be childhood
Down low
No respect for adults
A hard time showing love
Because somewhere
Someone
Got the idea
A pair of shoes
Would raise you
Enlighten
You
Remind you as Forrest’s mother said
‘Where ya goin
Where ya been’
And somebody else caught wind
Multiplied
Divided
Added
But never subtracted
Fiction
From the fact
That times are too hard
To slave for momentary
Fascinations
Thinking one day
It’ll keep them out of the nursing home;
I saw you three
And as disgusted
As I’d been earlier
With your potty-mouths
Ridiculous choice of attire
Total lack of urgency
And understanding
That your education
Was slipping away faster
Than the very taxes I pay
To educate you
I smiled
Because for a moment
All you were
Was a slice of Ghetto Americana
Framed by the #15’s windows
And if I didn’t know you
I would’ve forgotten you
Another expiration date
I don’t check for
When I walk into the bodega…
©2009clarencecbess

No comments: