Saturday, April 18, 2009

B.O.M.B

He dropped the bomb on me
Funny thing was
I was closer to understanding
Than I probably should've been
So we turned
Each taking a sip
Drowning in our brown liquor psalm
Till the silence overtook us
Him wanting to tell
Me wanting to listen
To hear myself
What I had become
Even though most would laugh at the thought.

He dropped his bomb
Ground zero destruction
The agonizing resonance of decisions
Choices long-ago made
Forgotten;
Dropped his bomb
And despite the smoke
I stayed
Moving about
An apparition among apparitions
All the same
In our graveyard of futility
Filled with the bitter weed
Our only escape to chew or blaze
As we festered in the haze.

He dropped his bomb
Then
Again and again
Me wishing I didn't understand
That youth could protect me
But then again
I've always been considered an 'old soul'
That blues chorus
An all too familiar psalm
For me to let slip away
In my brown liquor qualm
Of 'yester and today...
©2009clarencecbess

No comments: