Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Lessons Learned"

For the students of PS#36 / Brooklyn, NY - I was asked to perform a piece
for the school's 1st talent show and had no idea what to say. Then, as has happened countless times before, a thought and image struck me as I rode the subway to yet another pool match... the following is the result of that thought. Enjoy...

"Lessons Learned"

Beautiful
Like butterfly wings
Possibility and dreams
I have for you and I
After lessons taught
A change of thought?

Derogatory smiles
And after awhile
Your innocence becomes
Reality I sing
Yet possibility I dream
As free as butterflies
Delicate as wings
A symphony together we bring
A bit o' the walk
A bit o' da talk
As sweet as cookies made
Hopeful as dreams they fade
And butterfly wings
Carry us to things
Beyond the lessons taught
A change of thought?

Beautiful
The unintentional smile
And a learning child
That makes me think of things
As far away as butterfly dreams
And delicate things
In the reality I sing
Of innocence forgotten
And the control so sought
After lessons taught
Will you have a change of thought?

Beautiful
The mind that learns
Growing
Spreading its wings
Discovering things beyond the sun
Stars and familiar dreams
Behind eyelids shut
And delicate screams
Lost
Beyond lessons taught
Knowing survival is
A change of thought...
©2008clarencecbess

No comments: