Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Starving Artist

Here is an oldie but VERY goody.... This was one the first poems I ever memorized without even trying. It was born out of an image I saw in a film entitled "Delores Claiborne" where Delores' daughter is coming to grips with her past. She walks into a restroom on a ferry to get herself together and when she looks into the mirror she sees only her backside in the reflection. That moment coupled with the drama in my life at the time gave birth to this piece. As always, enjoy!

"The Starving Artist"

I look in the mirror
And all I want to do is cry
Tears of forever
An eternity of why.

The grumble in my stomach
Hunger’s strange euphoric high
In and out of consciousness
So close again to die.

The tips of my fingers numb
The funds in my account
None
The pain in my back strain
Word on the street
I'm insane.

To have so much
Yet have none at all
Always seeming to rise
Yet further I fall
I stare in my mirror
Among the black
Strange
All I see
Is my very own back...
©2002clarencecbess

No comments: